Register for health care

by New Arrivals Team

In the UK, you must register with a General Practitioner (GP/ doctor) and a Dentist separately.

Do this when you arrive:

  • To find your nearest doctor’s surgery, pharmacy or dentist, enter your post-code on the NHS (National Health Service) website
    You type in your postcode and CHOOSE A SERVICE: GP practice (doctor), dentist, etc.
  • You will be given a list of places near where you live. You can phone or go to the clinic to register.

General information in many languages.

GPs / Doctors’ surgeries / health centres

You need to register with a family doctor (GP) when you arrive in Scotland. Remember you will have to make an appointment whenever you need to see a doctor. You can ask for an interpreter when you make the appointment.


You should register with a dentist when you arrive in Scotland. Children and pregnant women get free treatment. You may be eligible for free dental care. This will depend on your status in the UK. If you receive benefits, then usually at least some of your treatment is free if you use an NHS (National Health Service) dentist. Many people pay a monthly fee for private dental care.

EHIC - European Health Insurance Card

Http:// mention: If you’ve ever been on holiday in Europe, you may have had an E111 form to entitle you to free or reduced-cost health care, if you get ill or have an accident. The E111 form was replaced with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in 2005.

You can apply:

  • By completing the online form (your card will be delivered in seven days),
  • by calling 0845 606 2030, 
  • by completing a form in the post office.

More information about EHIC and how cover your healthcare abroad.

Date last modified: Sat 8th June 2013